LEEMING, a chapelry, in the parish of Burneston, union of Bedale, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Bedale; containing, with the hamlets of Exelby and Newton, 682 inhabitants, of whom 347 are in Leeming. The chapelry comprises 2298a. 2r. 18p., of which 1295 acres are arable, 952 meadow and pasture, and 74 woodland and plantations; its surface is generally flat, and the scenery possesses few attractions, but the soil is fertile. The village, which is of ancient appearance, is situated on the great Roman road, here called Leeming-Lane, and now so little frequented that grass is growing on its surface; the river Swale bounds the township on one side. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt by subscription, and consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon, in 1839; it is of brick, in the later English style, and has an east window embellished with stained glass. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Burneston; net income, £100. The tithes have been commuted for £313. 16. and £138. 14., payable respectively to the impropriator and the vicar.