Leckonfield (St. Catherine)
LECKONFIELD (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Beverley; containing, with the hamlet of Arram, 347 inhabitants. This place was the residence of the Percy family, earls of Northumberland, whose stately castle, falling into decay, was taken down in 1600, to furnish materials for the repair of their castle of Wressel; the site, comprising an area of about 4 acres, is now a rich pasture, but parts of the moat by which the building was surrounded may still be distinctly traced. The manor, on the death of the 11th earl without issue male, passed to his daughter's son, Algernon Seymour, Duke of Somerset, and from him to Sir Chas. Wyndham, Earl of Egremont, and is now the property of Col. Wyndham. The parish comprises about 4000 acres, and a considerable portion is let to cottagers, in allotments of 3 or 4 acres, by the lord of the manor, at a moderate rent; the surface is pleasingly varied. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £48; patron and impropriator, Col. Wyndham. The Rev. Robert Machell, the present incumbent, is a descendant of the family of Machell, one of whom accompanied Earl Percy from the north to the castle of Leckonfield, in which, in the reign of Henry VII., he had a chamber always appointed for his use.