Leckhampton (St. Peter)
LECKHAMPTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Cheltenham, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Cheltenham; containing 1770 inhabitants, and consisting by survey of 1560 acres. There are quarries of stone of good quality both for building and for burning into lime, for the conveyance of which facilities are afforded by a branch of the Gloucester and Cheltenham railway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 13. 4.; net income, £356; patron, H. N. Trye, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1778; the glebe altogether comprises 170 acres. An additional church, dedicated to St. Philip, was consecrated in May, 1840; it is a neat structure, and contains 800 sittings, half of which are free: the living is in the gift of Trustees.