Leake, East (St. Mary)
LEAKE, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Loughborough, S. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of the county of Nottingham, 4¾ miles (E.) from Kegworth; containing 1057 inhabitants, and consisting of 2400 acres. Nearly one-half of the population are employed in the manufacture of cotton stockings. Limestone of good quality is quarried for manure, and there are some pits of gravel and sand. Statute-fairs are held at Candlemas and Martinmas. The living is a rectory, with that of West Leake united; net income, £719; patron, the Rev. J. Bateman. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1798; the land comprises 460 acres. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A free school was founded, and endowed with land, about 1731, by John Blay: the income is £48 per annum.