Leake (St. Mary)
LEAKE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thirsk, chiefly in the wapentake of Allertonshire, but partly in the wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York; comprising the chapelry of Nether Silton, and the townships of Borrowby, Crosby, Knayton with Brawith, Landmoth with Catto, Leake, and Gueldable; and containing 1235 inhabitants, of whom 7 are in Leake township, 6 miles (N.) from Thirsk. This was anciently a town of considerable importance, but was destroyed about the time of the Conquest, and the only remains of its former buildings are, the church, and the mansion of the Danby family, now a farmhouse, in which are some interesting and valuable paintings on the panels in one of the rooms. The parish comprises about 2830 acres. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Nether Silton annexed, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £320; patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is an ancient structure, partly Norman and partly in the early English style, with a tower, on the front of which is a sun-dial rudely carved: in the churchyard several stone coffins have been dug up at different times, supposed to have contained the remains of Saxon or Danish warriors.