Lea (St. Giles)
LEA (St. Giles), a parish, in the union and hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and N. divisions of Wilts, 1¾ mile (E. S. E.) from Malmesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Cleverton, 446 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the river Avon, and comprises by measurement 1691 acres, of which 312 are arable, 1332 pasture, and 10 woodland; the soil of nearly one half is a sandy loam, and of the remainder a tenacious clay. The living is annexed to the rectory of Garsdon; the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £30, the vicarial for £188. 9., and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church is supposed to have been erected before the Conquest, and appears to have been partly rebuilt at a remote period; it contains 200 sittings.