Lea (St. Helen)
LEA (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Corringham, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Gainsborough; containing 198 inhabitants. Gypsum is found under the marl in the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 2., and in the gift of Sir C. H. J. Anderson, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £392. 8. 10., and the glebe comprises 42 acres. At Hevening, in the parish, are some fish-ponds and a moat, the remains of a Cistercian nunnery founded in 1180, by Reyner Evermue; it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £58. 13. 4.