Layer-Marney (St. Mary)
LAYER-MARNEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Kelvedon; containing 256 inhabitants. It comprises 1900 acres, of which about 100 are woodland and plantation, and the remainder chiefly arable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 3. 4., and in the gift of Quintin Dick, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £466, and the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church is principally in the later English style, and contains several fine monuments of the Marney family. In an ancient brick edifice about 50 yards from the church, William de Marney, in 1330, founded a college for a warden and two chaplains.