LAXTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York, 3¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Howden; containing 266 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 acres of land, and is situated to the north and east of the river Ouse, which makes a very considerable bend in the vicinity: the village is well built. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £39; patron, the Vicar of Howden. The chapel has ample accommodation for the inhabitants; the chancel is of stone, but the nave and tower are built of brick. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.