Laxton, or Lexington (St. Michael)
LAXTON, or Lexington (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Southwell, South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Tuxford; containing, with the hamlet of Moorhouse, 642 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 3955 acres, of which 1245 are open fields and common, 118 wood and plantations, and the remainder principally arable; the soil is chiefly a strong clay, with some tracts of black vegetable mould. The village, which is considerable, and situated on a gentle acclivity, appears to have been formerly a place of some importance; it gave the title of Baron to the family of Lexington. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11; patron and impropriator, Earl Manvers. The great tithes have been commuted for £387. 16., and the vicarial for £225. 2. 6.; the glebe comprises about one acre of ground, attached to the glebe-house. The church is a spacious structure in the later English style, with a lofty tower, and was once replete with handsome monuments to distinguished families. The chapel on the north side, which has been long used as a schoolroom, has been cleared out, and three effigies of crusaders in full armour have been removed into the chancel of the church. At Moorhouse is a chapel of ease. There is a place of worship for Independents. William Chappell, Bishop of Cork and Ross in Ireland, who died in 1649, was born here.