Lawton, Church (All Saints)
LAWTON, CHURCH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Newcastle-under-Lyme; containing 622 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great road to Liverpool, and comprises 1452 acres. The soil is sand, clay, and gravel: the substratum contains coal of good quality, of which mines were formerly in operation; and there are some brine-pits from which salt is made. The Trent and Mersey canal passes through the parish, and is here joined by the Macclesfield canal. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 2. 7., and in the gift of C. B. Lawton, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £260, and the glebe comprises 37 acres, with a house. The church, supposed to have formed part of an abbey, has been rebuilt; it is of handsome elevation with the exception of the tower, and has a Norman porch on the south side. Schools are supported by Mr. Lawton. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.