Lawford (St. Mary)
LAWFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 1½ mile (W.) from Manningtree; containing 868 inhabitants, and consisting of 2769a. 1r. 4p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the gift of St. John's College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £720, and the glebe comprises 35 acres. The church, situated on elevated ground commanding an extensive prospect, is an ancient edifice with a tower of stone, and consists of a nave and chancel, the interior walls of which are elaborately ornamented with sculpture. In 1723, John Leach bequeathed a rentcharge of £22. 4., for teaching children, and clothing poor persons.