Laverton (St. Mary)
LAVERTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (N.) from Frome; containing, with the tything of Peart, 199 inhabitants. It comprises 1108 acres by computation. The soil in the western part is a strong clay, and in the eastern a light red loam; the surface is undulated, and the low grounds are watered by a brook which flows into the river Frome. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 6½.; net income, £277; patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells.