Laverstoke (St. Mary)
LAVERSTOKE (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Overton, Kingclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Whitchurch; containing 123 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 acres. The surface is finely undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by the limpid stream of the Test, which has its source within two miles; the soil is chiefly clay, resting on chalk. A very extensive manufactory of the paper used for the notes of the Bank of England is established here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 10.; net income, £61; patron, John Portal, Esq.