Laver, High (All Saints)
LAVER, HIGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Ongar, S. division of Essex, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Ongar; containing 478 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1500 acres: the soil is principally a strong clay, forming excellent corn and grazing land; the surface is generally level, and in addition to numerous springs, the grounds are watered by a copious brook. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 1. 8.; net income, £370; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Philip Budworth. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a tower surmounted by a spire of wood. The celebrated John Locke resided at the mansion-house of Otes, in the parish, then the property of the lords Masham, during the last two years of his life; he died in October, 1704, and was interred on the south side of the churchyard: over his remains is a black marble tomb, inclosed within iron rails, and on the wall of the church is his epitaph in Latin, composed by himself.