LAURENCE, ST., a parish, in the union of the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, ¾ of a mile (W.) from Ramsgate; containing 2694 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3244 acres, of which 65 are common, and 68 marsh. It is bounded on the south by Pegwell bay, which is celebrated for shrimps, and much resorted to by visiters from Ramsgate and Margate, for whose accommodation there is an excellent inn, commanding a fine sea view. The village is situated on a hill, upon the road from Ramsgate to Canterbury; a pleasure-fair is held in it on the 9th of August. In 1826, Ramsgate was separated from this parish by act of parliament, and made distinct. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7; net income, £180; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury, who, with the Dean and Chapter, is appropriator. The church is very ancient, particularly the tower, which is of Saxon architecture; it was one of the chapels belonging to Minster, but was made parochial in 1275. His Majesty William IV. erected a tablet to the memory of Admiral Fox, who is buried here; as is also Lady Augusta Murray. There is a church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, which has a chapelry district annexed. The remains of a small chapel in the village have been incorporated into a dwelling-house.