Launcells (St. Andrew)
LAUNCELLS (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Stratton, E. division of Cornwall, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Stratton; containing 855 inhabitants. The parish comprises 6184 acres, of which 350 are common or waste; the Bude canal passes through it from west to east. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 10. 10.; patron and impropriator, L. W. Buck, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £280; and the vicarial for £220, with a glebe of 15 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a lofty embattled tower crowned by pinnacles; part of the floor is laid with tiles curiously figured, and in the south aisle is an altar-tomb with the recumbent effigy of John Chamond, who died in 1624.