Laughton-En-Le-Morthen (All Saints)
LAUGHTON-EN-LE-MORTHEN (All Saints), a parish, in the unions of Rotherham and Worksop, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill. W. riding of York, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Rotherham; containing 742 inhabitants. This place, during the wars between the houses of York and Lancaster, suffered much from the Lancastrian party, in an attack made upon it by the Baron of Mowbray and his adherents, who greatly injured the town, and nearly destroyed the church. The parish comprises by computation 3685 acres, most of which is fertile land in good cultivation; the surface is varied, and the scenery in parts enriched with wood. Laughton Hall, the ancient seat of the Butler family, is a spacious mansion, commanding extensive views. The village is situated on an eminence, and is large and neatly built. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £200, with a glebe of 4 acres, and a glebe-house, erected in 1842; patron, the Chancellor of the Cathedral of York. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £140, and there is an impropriate glebe of 5 acres. The church is a handsome and stately structure in the early and decorated English styles, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a lofty crocketed spire, rising to the height of 180 feet, and forming a conspicuous and beautiful object in the landscape for many miles round: the interior contains various rich details; the reading-desk is an eagle of wood, highly gilt. Here is a place of worship for Independents. A parochial school is endowed with three acres of land, and £13 per annum from bequests; and there are several benefactions for distribution among the poor.