LAUGHTON, a parish, in the union of Hailsham, hundred of Shiplake, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Uckfield; containing 850 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Lewes to Hastings, has been for ages the property of the Pelham family, earls of Chichester, whose ancient manorial mansion of Laughton Place, erected in 1534, is still remaining. There are some quarries of Sussex marble, which is susceptible of a very high polish, and is applied to various uses. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 11. 3.; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Chichester: the great tithes have been commuted for £645, the vicarial for £255, and the glebe comprises 6 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, and some insertions of a later date; it contains the family vault of the Pelhams: it was new-pewed in 1827, and a gallery was erected in 1831.