Latton (St. John the Baptist)
LATTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Epping, hundred of Harlow, S. division of Essex, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Harlow; containing 303 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Stort, and comprises 1566 acres, whereof 174 are common or waste. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £7; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. Arkwright: the tithes have been commuted for £355, and the glebe comprises 113 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower. Here was a priory of Black canons, founded in the fourteenth century, and dedicated to St. John the Baptist: some remains of the buildings, converted into a barn, contain specimens in the decorated style.