Latimer, Iselhempstead, or Eastmansted-Latimer
LATIMER, ISELHEMPSTEAD, or Eastmansted-Latimer, a chapelry, in the parish of Chesham, union of Amersham, hundred of Burnham, county of Buckingham, 3¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Chesham; containing 250 inhabitants. This place, with the surrounding estate, belonged in the reign of Edward III. to Simon Beresford, on whose attainder it reverted to the crown, and was given to William Latimer, from whom it derived the adjunct to its name. The ancient house has been almost entirely rebuilt, in the Tudor style. The living is a donative of very ancient date, endowed with the rectorial and other tithes of a portion of the parish, and valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; patron, the Hon. C. C. Cavendish. The incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £125, and he has a glebe of 6½ acres. A chapel in the Elizabethan style, built by Mr. Cavendish, was opened for divine service in 1842.