Lathbury (All Saints)
LATHBURY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, ¾ of a mile (N.) from Newport-Pagnell, on the road to Northampton; containing 127 inhabitants. This parish, which is almost surrounded by the river Ouse, comprises about 1200 acres, in nearly equal portions of pasture and arable; the surface is generally level, with some undulations, and the soil is gravelly and loamy, and the alluvial portion very rich. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £68; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford: the glebe-house was enlarged in 1839, by the Rev. Henry Bull, M. A., the incumbent. The church is a very ancient structure, and has a Norman tower; it contains a column with a curiously wrought capital, and in the chancel is some handsome pavement of black and white marble, the gift of Margaret, daughter of Sir H. Andrewes, Bart., a young lady of remarkable piety, of the last century, and of whom a short life has been published. The learned Dr. Chelsum, who distinguished himself by his defence of Christianity against Gibbon, held the living for some time. A cell that belonged to the priory of Lavendon occupied the site of the present manor-house.