Lastingham (St. Mary)
LASTINGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Pickering, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York; comprising the townships of Appleton-le-Moors, Farndale East-side, Hutton-le-Hole, Lastingham, Rosedale West-side, and Spaunton; and containing 1463 inhabitants, of whom 175 are in the township of Lastingham, 7 miles (N. W.) from Pickering. A Benedictine monastery was founded here, in honour of the Virgin Mary, about 648, by Cedd, Bishop of the East Saxons, and flourished until 1080, when the monks removed to York. The parish is intersected by the small river Dove, and comprises by computation 19,200 acres, of which 8000 are common or waste; 406 acres are in the township. The whole, with the exception of Farndale East-side, forms part of the manor of Spaunton, of which the Darley family have for a considerable period been lords. The soil is of various qualities, and though there are large tracts of open moor and uncultivated land, much of it is fertile and productive. In Rosedale West-side are several beds of coal. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £215. The church is a small and very ancient edifice, supposed to have belonged to the monastery: underneath the choir is a vaulted crypt, of which the massive cylindrical columns and sculptured arches are fine specimens of Norman architecture, and other portions of the edifice are in a later style; the east end is circular, and at the west end is a low tower. There is a chapel of ease at Farndale East-side, and at Appleton-le-Moors and Hutton-le-Hole are places of worship for Wesleyans. John Jackson, the celebrated painter, was a native of the parish.