Larling (St. Ethelbert)
LARLING (St. Ethelbert), a parish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from East Harling; containing 205 inhabitants. This parish, sometimes called Larlingford, comprises about 1400 acres; the soil is light, in some parts sandy, and the lower grounds are watered by a river which divides the parish from that of Snetterton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 0. 2½., and in the gift of Lord Colborne: the tithes have been commuted for £209, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with an embattled tower, and a south porch in which is a highly-enriched Norman arch.