Lapley (All Saints)
LAPLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Penkridge, W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3¾ miles (W. by S.) from Penkridge; containing, with the chapelry of Wheaton-Aston, 952 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 3600 acres of land: the village is situated on a pleasant eminence. Lapley and Wheaton-Aston constitute a manor, with Marston in Church-Eaton parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 12. 3½.; net income, £124; patron and impropriator, S. Swinfen, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £300, and the vicarial for £200; the glebe comprises 22 acres. Here was a priory of Black monks, subordinate to the abbey of St. Remigius at Rheims: all that remains is the church, now the parish church, a large fabric, with a noble tower, which, from its lofty situation, is seen at a distance of several miles. Among the charities, are £10 a year left for instruction by Joan Scutt in 1669.