LANIVET, a parish, in the union of Bodmin, hundred of Pyder, E. division of Cornwall, 2½ miles (S. W.) from Bodmin; containing 1149 inhabitants. It comprises 5008 acres, of which 600 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24; net income, £667; patron and incumbent, the Rev. William Phillipps. In the churchyard is an ancient Maltese cross. About a quarter of a mile from the church are considerable remains of a Benedictine monastery, called St. Bene't's, supposed to have been subordinate to some foreign house. There are certain lands, part of its possessions, producing an income of about £150 per annum, which is applied in aid of the poor rates, with the exception of about £17 to a school. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.