Lanhydrock (St. Hydrock)
LANHYDROCK (St. Hydrock), a parish, in the union of Bodmin, hundred of Pyder, E. division of Cornwall, 2¾ miles (S. by E.) from Bodmin; containing 263 inhabitants. Lanhydrock House, which is approached from the river Fowey by a fine avenue of trees about a mile in length, and under an archway, was garrisoned for the parliament in the civil war, and surrendered to the royalists under Sir Richard Granville, in Aug. 1644; it is an embattled structure of granite, forming three sides of a quadrangle, in the style that prevailed in the early part of the seventeenth century. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Hon. Anne Maria Agar. The church is a small elegant fabric, with an embattled tower, and a few years since underwent a thorough repair at the expense of the Hon. A. M. Agar, the original style of the building being preserved. There is an ancient cross in the churchyard.