Langton-Matravers (St. George)
LANGTON-MATRAVERS (St. George), a parish, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Rowbarrow, Wareham division of Dorset, 9 miles (S. E.) from Wareham; containing 762 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the British Channel, and situated on the road from Wareham to Swanage, comprises 2250 acres of arable and pasture in nearly equal portions, with a little wood, and 83 acres of waste. The scenery is bold and romantic, and the upper lands command fine views of the Channel and of the Isle of Wight; the soil is a heavy clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 8. 9.; patron, the Rev. John Dampier: the tithes have been commuted for £380, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church was nearly rebuilt in 1838, on a larger scale, at an expense of £900, by subscription; it had formerly a chantry for the use of the small priory of St. Leonard, at Wilcheswode. There is a remarkable oblong tumulus in the parish.