Langton (St. Margaret)
LANGTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Horncastle, wapentake of South Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Horncastle; containing 177 inhabitants. This parish, the greater part of which is in the duchy of Lancaster, comprises 908 acres of land, with a subsoil of strong white clay, which is burnt as a substitute for lime. The river Witham passes by. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 4½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln: the tithes were commuted for land in 1767; the glebe now comprises 172 acres, valued at £276, exclusive of five acres attached to the rectory-house, which has been nearly rebuilt by the present incumbent. The present church was commenced in March, 1845, was opened in November, 1846, and consecrated in September, 1847; it contains 200 sittings. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Two almshouses were founded, and endowed with 27 acres of land, by the Rev. Willoughby West, in 1691.