Langtoft (St. Peter)
LANGTOFT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of Cottam, 688 inhabitants, of whom 647 are in Langtoft township, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Driffield. The parish is on the road from Driffield to Scarborough, and comprises, exclusively of Cottam, 3140 acres, the soil of which is commonly very good; the scenery is generally open, and on the Wolds very wild and bleak. The village is picturesquely situated in a valley. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £354; patron, the Archbishop of York; impropriator, the Rev. E. Gibbons. The tithes were commuted for land in 1801; there are 300 acres of glebe. The church is an old structure with a square tower. There is a chapel of ease at Cottam, in which divine service is performed monthly. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. Peter of Langtoft, a celebrated monk and historian, was born here.