Langtoft (St. Michael)
LANGTOFT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Bourne, wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Market-Deeping; containing 778 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1857 acres. The soil in the higher grounds is a brown, and in the lower a rich black, loam; the surface is generally flat, and the lands have been much improved by draining. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 5. 7½.; net income, £288; patron, Sir Gilbert Heathcote, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land in 1801: the glebe comprises 133 acres. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire at the west end of the north aisle; the nave is lighted by clerestory windows. Rachel Hyde, in 1707, bequeathed funds now accumulated to £450, for the purchase of a freehold estate for the poor.