Langridge (St. Mary Magdalene)
LANGRIDGE (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Bath, hundred of Bath-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Bath; containing 109 inhabitants. This place is distinguished as the scene of the sanguinary though indecisive battle which occurred on Lansdown Hill, at the extremity of the parish, between the royalist and parliamentarian armies, in 1643, and which is commemorated by a monument, erected on the spot, to Sir Bevill Grenville, who fell in that engagement. The parish comprises 647 acres, of which 32 are common or waste. The soil is rocky, and the surface diversified with hill and dale; the scenery is in parts enriched with wood, and the lower grounds are watered by a rivulet, which bounds the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 4½., and in the gift of William Blathwayt, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £112; the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church is an ancient structure with a square tower, and consists of a nave and chancel, between which is a highly-enriched Norman arch; there is a Norman arch of plainer character in the south porch. In rebuilding the rectoryhouse a few years since, several coffins and skulls, and a silver-mounted battle-axe, were discovered.