Langley, Kirk (St. Michael)
LANGLEY, KIRK (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 4¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Derby, on the road to Ashbourn; containing, with the township of Meynell-Langley, 647 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2471 acres: in Kirk-Langley township are 1325 acres, principally pasture, with some woodland, and mostly in dairy-farms. Meynell-Langley forms the east side of the parish, and the Flagshaw, a small brook, separates the villages, which are both of scattered houses, several of them good buildings, chiefly of brick, with blue tiles. Langley Hall, a neat stone mansion, is situated in a well-wooded park of 60 acres, and commands a fine view of Derby. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 1.; patron, Godfrey Meynell, Esq. The tithes of Kirk-Langley were commuted in 1842 for £213; and the rector has 90 acres of glebe, of which a large portion was awarded at the inclosure of Meynell-Langley, in lieu of tithes. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles, and a low embattled tower; it was repaired and repewed in 1840, and a new gallery erected on the south side, at a cost of £600: there are monuments to the Meynell family, and to various rectors. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. A school, built in 1750, was endowed in 1752 by the Rev. John Bailey, incumbent, with land now let for £12 a year; and it was further endowed in 1768, by Francis Bailey, with a rent-charge of £5.