Langley (St. Michael)
LANGLEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (N.) from Loddon; containing 323 inhabitants. This place was distinguished as the site of an abbey, founded and liberally endowed in 1198, by Robert Fitz-Roger Helke, for Præmonstratensian canons; the establishment flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £128. 19. 9.: there are considerable remains of the buildings. The parish is on the navigable river Yare, and comprises 2723 acres, of which 475 are common or waste; the scenery is pleasingly diversified. Langley Park, the seat of Sir W. B. Proctor, Bart., is a stately mansion with a portico of the Doric order; in the grounds is an ancient cross. The inhabitants had formerly the privilege of a market, granted in the reign of John. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patron and impropriator, Sir W. B. Proctor, whose tithes have been commuted for £400. The church is a handsome structure, with a square embattled tower, and is remarkable for the beauty of its windows, which were all embellished with richlystained glass by the late Sir T. B. Proctor; in the chancel are several neat monuments to the Beauchamp and Proctor families.