LANGLEY, a township, in the parish and union of Lanchester, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (N. W.) from Durham; containing 81 inhabitants. This place was probably the residence of Henry, Lord Scroop, temp. Henry VIII., and was the occasional seat of his descendants, who held the estate till the death of the Earl of Sunderland, in 1630, when it passed by marriage to the Marquess of Winchester, in whose family it remained till, in the middle of the last century, it was sold to the Lambtons. The township comprises about 2500 acres, and is situated on the road from Durham to Lanchester. On the bank of the river Browney are the ruins of a castellated mansion, formerly belonging to the Scroops, and part of which has been converted into a farmhouse. The view from it over the vale of the Browney is wild and varied; and in front, to the east, the cathedral rises majestically over the Durham hills.