Langham (St. Mary)
LANGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stow, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 3¼ miles (E. by S.) from Ixworth; containing 293 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement nearly 1000 acres, and is chiefly the property of the family of Wilson, whose seat, Langham Hall, is pleasantly situated. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 10½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £252, and the glebe comprises 52 acres. The church, situated within the grounds of the Hall, is in the decorated English style, consisting of a nave and chancel separated by a richlycarved screen. Ten acres of land are let in small allotments; and there is a farm of 11 acres, the rent of which is laid out in clothing for the poor.