Langenhoe (St. Andrew)
LANGENHOE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 5¼ miles (S. by E.) from Colchester; containing 161 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1874 acres, of which 161 are common or waste; and is bounded on the east by the navigable river Colne: the soil is generally a strong loam, producing average crops. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 13. 4., and in the gift of the family of Waldegrave: the tithes have been commuted for £480, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower of stone; the window of the chancel is decorated with numerous armorial bearings.