Langdon-Hills (St. Mary and All Saints)
LANGDON-HILLS (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Orsett, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 13 miles (E. by S.) from Romford; containing 288 inhabitants. This is a fine tract of elevated ground, rising gradually from the north to its highest point, but in all other directions abrupt and steep. From the summit of the range, the loftiest in the neighbourhood, and from which the parish takes its name, are some extensive prospects; the hills and coast of Kent, as far as the Medway, being visible in clear weather. The parish comprises 1775a. 2r. 24p., of which 1120 acres are arable, 474 pasture, and 113 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 3. 9.; net income, £245; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a small chapel on the north side of the latter, and has been enlarged. The parish of West Lee, about a mile distant, was, after the destruction of its church, united with this parish.