Laneham (St. Peter)
LANEHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 6¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Tuxford; containing 385 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the east by the river Trent, comprises by measurement 1704 acres: the soil is clay, with considerable portions of marsh; the surface is generally flat, and the lands are in good cultivation. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 3. 4.; net income, £56; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York. The tithes, with some trifling exceptions, were commuted for land and a money payment, under an act of inclosure, in 1772; and the remainder have been commuted under the recent Tithe act, the appropriate tithes for a rent-charge of £36, and the vicarial for £5. The church is a small ancient structure.