Landulph (St. Dilpe)
LANDULPH (St. Dilpe), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (N.) from Saltash; containing 550 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south and east by the navigable river Tamar, comprises by survey 2086 acres; a considerable portion of marsh land has been reclaimed by an embankment constructed by Mr. Arnold. The substratum is rich in minerals, and the lead and silver mines of Beer-Alston extend into the parish. Packet-boats sail three times in the week from Cargreen, the principal village, to Devonport. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 3. 6½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £328, and the glebe comprises 42 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early and decorated English styles; the seats present much curious carved work, of the time of Henry VII., and the edifice contains a monument with an inscription, giving an account of the pedigree of Theodore Paleologus, a lineal descendant of the last Christian emperors of Greece, who died in 1636, and was interred here. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A mineral spring here was formerly in high repute.