LANDICAN, a township, in the parish of Woodchurch, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 5¾ miles (N.) from Great Neston; containing 67 inhabitants. This place, though now insignificant, was of considerable importance previously to the Conquest; and it is probable that a church existed here, not only from the appellative Lan, the ancient British word (Llan) for a church or churchyard, but from mention being made of a resident priest. The manor was conveyed by the Duttons, in 1326, to the family of Praers, from whom it passed to the Fulleshursts; and was afterwards in the Wilbrahams, of Woodhey, from which family it was purchased by the Wilsons. The township comprises 592 acres, of a clayey soil. It is distant from Birkenhead about four miles.