Landewednack (St. Lanty)
LANDEWEDNACK (St. Lanty), a parish, in the union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 10½ miles (S. S. E.) from Helston; containing 431 inhabitants. The parish contains within its limits the Lizard Point, the most southern point in Great Britain, from which ships leaving the Channel date their departure: there are two lighthouses. The number of acres is about 1000; nearly one-half is profitable land, and the remainder of very inferior quality, being chiefly poor and unproductive downs: the surface is flat, with some gentle undulations, while the surrounding scenery is of bold and rugged aspect. A pilchard-fishery is carried on at Landewednack cove, employing several boats and seans during the season. Slabs and mantel-pieces are made from the rocks. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 10½., and in the gift of P. Vyvyan Robinson, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £253. 11., and the glebe comprises 14 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, with a fine Norman doorway on the south side, and contains a curious font. There is a place of worship for a congregation of Wesleyans.