Landcross (Holy Trinity)
LANDCROSS (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Great Torrington and N. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Bideford; containing 120 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Torridge, and intersected by the road from Bideford to Torrington; and comprises by measurement 331 acres. There are quarries of stone, which is used for building and also for the roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 4. 0½., and in the gift of the family of Rolle: the tithes have been commuted for £63, and the glebe comprises 8 acres. General Monk, afterwards Duke of Albemarle, was baptized here in 1608.