LANCING, a parish, in the hundred of Brightford, rape of Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 2 miles (W.) from Shoreham; containing 781 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the east by the river Adur and Shoreham harbour, and on the south by the English Channel, comprises by measurement 2524 acres, whereof 1476 are arable, 566 meadow and pasture, 424 sea and fresh-water beach, and 14 acres plantations. Its soil is chiefly a rich loam intermixed with sand, but in that portion on the downs generally chalk; the scenery is enriched with wood, and Lancing House, the seat of Sir James Martin Lloyd, Bart., is a handsome residence seated in a demesne tastefully laid out. In the parish is a station of the Brighton and Chichester railway, eight miles distant from the Brighton station, and three from that of Worthing. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 9. 4.; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln; impropriator, Sir J. M. Lloyd. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £767. 14., and the vicarial for £176; the glebe comprises 6 acres. There is also a rent-charge of £61. 8. 6. payable to the rector of West Grinstead. The church is an ancient structure, partly Norman, and partly in the early and decorated English styles; the interior is neatly arranged, and has been repewed. Vestiges of a Roman pavement, with some small altars, lavatories, and a great number of coins, have been discovered on Lancing Down.