Lamport (All Saints)
LAMPORT (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 8¾ miles (N.) from Northampton; containing, with the hamlet of Hanging-Houghton and the chapelry of Faxton, 342 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 4421 acres, of which by far the greater portion is rich pasture; about 50 acres are strong wheat land, and about 400 red turnip soil. The surface is varied; the village is situated on a hill, commanding some pleasing views, but the greater part of the parish is seated in a valley. There are some quarries of stone for building and for road-making. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £48. 2. 6.; net income, £1085; patron, Sir J. Isham, Bart. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an act of inclosure, in 1794; the glebe comprises 53 acres. The church is an ancient structure. At Faxton is a chapel of ease. A school was endowed by Sir Edmund Isham, who in the year 1762 gave £1500 for this purpose, and for the benefit of the poor; and there is a fund of £66 per annum, arising from 41 acres of land, assigned on the inclosure in lieu of other land purchased with a bequest by Sir Justinian Isham in 1670, for apprenticing boys.