Lamplugh (St. Michael)
LAMPLUGH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 9 miles (E. N. E.) from the town of Whitehaven; containing, with the townships of Kelton, Murton, and Winder, 645 inhabitants, of whom 190 are in the township of Lamplugh. The parish is bounded on the east by Loweswater and Crummockwater, and comprises 4876a. 2r. 39p. of inclosed land, and 1475 acres of common. Two branches of the river Marron have their sources here. There are extensive quarries of limestone, and some of freestone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 4. 7., and in the gift of John Lamplugh L. Raper, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 2 acres. Near the ancient Hall is a mineral spring, the water of which is powerfully astringent.