Lamerton (St. Peter)
LAMERTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Lifton, Tavistock and S. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Tavistock; containing 1288 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Tavistock to Launceston, and comprises 5488 acres, of which 1147 are common or waste. Manganese is wrought extensively; slate is quarried for exportation, and good building-stone is found in abundance. Collacombe, a mansion built in the reign of Elizabeth, and since converted into a farmhouse, has a large transom window, containing 3200 panes of glass. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 2. 1., and in the gift of J. H. Tremayne, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £397, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church, which belonged to Tavistock Abbey, is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower, and contains an interesting monument to Thomas Tremayne and his wife, with their eight sons and eight daughters. Divine service is also performed in a licensed schoolroom, four miles from the church, by a curate appointed by the vicar. There are places of worship for Bible Christians; and national schools supported by subscription. £20 per annum were bequeathed to the poor by the late Arthur Tremayne, Esq., of Sydenham. Rowe, the poet, was a native of the place.