Lambourn, or Lambourne (St. Mary and All Saints)
LAMBOURN, or Lambourne (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Ongar, S. division of Essex, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Romford; containing 904 inhabitants. It is intersected by the river Roding, and comprises by measurement 2437 acres, of which 737 are arable, 1296 pasture, 118 wood, 229 forest, and 24 common; the soil is heavy, but the substratum light, and rather inclining to chalk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14, and in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £600, and the glebe comprises 34 acres. The church, a neat rustic building, consists of a nave and chancel, with a leaden spire: in the chancel are three windows of stained glass, and a fourth contains five pieces of curious and valuable old painting; near the altar is a tablet to the memory of Wynnyffe, who, nearly two centuries since, was rector of Lambourn and Bishop of Lincoln. A chapel was built in 1833, in the village of Abridge, where is also a place of worship for Wesleyans. Spencer, who was a soldier in the army of Pope Adrian in his wars against the Duke of Milan, and who in 1370 was made Bishop of Norwich, lived in the parish.