Lamberhurst (St. Mary)
LAMBERHURST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ticehurst, partly in the hundred of Brenchley and Horsemonden, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, but chiefly in the hundred of Loxfield-Camden, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 15 miles (S. W. by S.) from Maidstone; containing 1572 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Hastings, and comprises 5426a. 3r. 3p., of which a considerable portion is wood: the soil is generally a sandy clay; the surface is hilly, and the low lands are watered by a copious brook. Here were formerly extensive ironworks, at which the balustrades for St. Paul's cathedral were manufactured, from ore found in the neighbourhood; but they have been discontinued. A fair for cattle is held on the 6th of April. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 10. 5.; net income, £401; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a low spire, and contains some ancient monuments to the Scotney family, whose sepulchral chapel adjoins the south aisle: on the repair of the church in 1840, a beautiful arch was discovered between this chapel and the chancel, evidently of greater antiquity than the present church. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. At Scotney Castle is a mineral spring of the same quality as the celebrated springs of Tonbridge-Wells.