Lakenheath (St. Mary)
LAKENHEATH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mildenhall, hundred of Lackford, W. division of Suffolk, 5¾ miles (N.) from Mildenhall; containing 1579 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the Little Ouse, which is navigable; and comprises 10,918a. 37p. The soil is in some parts tolerably fertile, but a very considerable portion is marsh and fen land. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of Undley, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 11½.; net income, £136; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. There are places of worship for Huntingtonians and Wesleyans. George Goward, in 1744, founded a school, and endowed it with land now producing £20 per annum. An allotment of 154 acres of fen has been set apart for the poor; and a sum exceeding £50, arising from benefactions, is annually distributed among them.